Wednesday, February 25, 2009

the woes of teething

I used to think that when people said their kids were teething that it was just an excuse parents used to justify any behavior they didn't like in their child. Why is your child suddenly waking up 3 times each night? They are teething. Why do they have a runny nose and are so dang grumpy? They are teething.

Bologne. It's just an excuse. Or so I thought. And why did I think this? I had two boys, 18 months apart, who cut teeth and I didn't notice any change in behavior, sleeping, eating, etc.

Granted, I do think that the "teething" card is WAY overused, but now that I have a baby who is teething and making my life miserable (okay, I'm exhagerating a little), I finally get it, and I'm taking back any thoughts I had before!

When we left for the cruise, Jane had two bottom teeth. When we got home, she had cut one tooth and was close to cutting another. I get the term "cut" now. It hurts! She was so sad! She kept our babysitter up all night. When we got home, she had several cranky days and early mornings, up a few times at night, and then sure enough, the other one came through.

I got a break for about a week and a half when she was my normal, happy baby. Then, here we go again. This week has brought to me: a baby who is up at 5:45am crying, won't eat anything but smoothies with a straw, yogart, oranges, blueberries, and some milk. Seriously folks, that is IT. She won't eat. She refuses everything. She napped today for 45 minutes before waking up screaming. She is clingy and just cries in the middle of the day for no reason whether I'm holding her or not.

The result: 2 more bottom teeth in 4 days.

Conclusion: teething stinks! And I'm SO sorry for anyone going through it!

My happiest time of the day? See below:
ps. look at her fingernails. after watching sally get hers painted, she let lizzy paint hers! her first time. ohhhhh, my baby girl!

7 comments:

Heather said...

I was going to comment on the nails before I saw your wrote about them. What a cute girl. I'm sorry about teething. I hope Brennan in more like your boys when it comes to teeth cutting through.

Harris said...

SAD. Gray is totally teething right now too and it is nooo fun. She is super cute and I LOVE the fingernails. It sounds like work is amazing for Tom and you guys are doing good. That is awesome! Are you guys coming this way anytime soon?

tiff said...

Camilla has been a rotten teether too! I didn't notice it with my other kids but she has been terrible. It's taking forever for them to come in-which is just drawing out all of the drama. yikes!

Colleen said...

Sorry that it has been rough! It is amazing how some kids don't seem to care and for others it brings pure misery! I hope every tooth isn't so bad for Sweet Jane!

dupaix5 said...

Oh the joys of teething. I love her nails, Eliie loves to get them painted and then she picks the polish off. I never got to ask how your trip was? It looks like you had a great time.

Susan May said...

Hope she feels better soon! It is so hard when they have a tough time with it.... it seems to take so long for them to all come in!

Brooke said...

What a sweet, rosy picture of your Jane. It made my heart melt. She's a little dolly!